Friday, January 7, 2011

Clips in the Deseret News!

This is actually old news, but it's been a while since I've done any blogging, and I have a lot to catch up on.

Do you remember that "5 Black and White Movies You Must See - Even in 2010"? Well, a few weeks after it was in The Daily Universe, it made its way to the Deseret News.

Five old movies you must see - even in 2010

After the Deseret News laid off 43% of its staff (a bad omen for future journalists such as myself), they unveiled a new service called "Deseret Connect" that is basically a way for any freelancers or wannabes to submit stories for the Deseret News to use. We submitted a couple stories as part of my COMMS 377 class, and lo and behold, one of them ended up in the paper. Not only was it in the paper, but it was a big and colorful story (with lots of photos from old Deseret News archives) on the front page of the Arts & Life section, on a Sunday. And it was teased on the front page of the whole paper.


Pretty cool. Except the only way I knew about it was that one of Erin's relatives happened to mention she saw it when we had dinner that Sunday night. If we hadn't seen them that night, I don't know if I ever would have found out to this day!

On that note, I think the other story I submitted to Deseret Connect ended up in the paper too, although the only reason I know is because I thought I'd try searching for it on the Deseret News website, and there it was:

'Covert Affairs' is a show about guns and love letters

It maybe wasn't in the paper, maybe it was only on the website. I'll never know.

Basically, it's really cool to have articles in the Deseret News, by far the biggest stage I've ever been published on. But I wish I had some sort of notice! And, if I remember correctly, I should be financially compensated...so, I suppose the check's in the mail?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...