Friday, January 7, 2011

New York, New York!


I'm in a New York state of mind since Dec. 8.

I officially got an internship with Newsweek magazine this April!


The BYU Communications Department has a New York internship program, where students who earn a spot get to live in the International House on Columbia University campus near Harlem. In addition, BYU's got the hookups at a few places, Newsweek being one of them. And that's where I ended up! Staying up all night putting together my portfolio (it had copies of every single clip I've ever had from The Daily Universe, plus most of my The Dalles Chronicle ones) paid off!

Me and my little family are so excited for our New York adventure! So far, the plan is that we'll be there starting around the middle of April and stay for six weeks. We might live at the International House, or find an apartment on our own, we're not quite sure yet. I don't know a whole lot about what I'll actually be doing, because a lot of changes will happening at Newsweek around the same time I get there. But I imagine it to be like the career of my friend McKay Coppins, who interned there last summer, was asked to extend his internship and stay all summer, and ultimately was hired and never came back to Provo.

We are going to have so much fun in New York. We have plans to see all the sights (we've already put money toward a Broadway show). We are also driving out there, so we'll have our car to go on trips to Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Niagara Falls, and Palmyra. I had a little bit of the big city experience when I was a missionary in downtown Cordoba, Argentina. And I loved it. I don't think I'd ever want to raise a family in the city, but I still want to try it out for a while. And now is a great time, because Allisyn's young enough that the challenges of the city won't really be a problem (she doesn't need a backyard to play in, we don't have to make sure we live in a good school district, etc.).

For any of you who will be on the East Coast between April and June, stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...