Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wiggins Comeback

In some states, state judges are appointed. In other states they are elected. In Iowa, they are appointed and then regularly brought up for a retention election. Basically, you don't get to vote them in, but you do get to vote them out.

This year, Justice David Wiggins is up for retention. His retention is a big deal because he is one of the justices who participated in the unanimous decision to make same-sex marriage legal in Iowa, Varnum v. Brien. Conservatives from around the country, including Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and former Sen. Rick Santorum have been touring Iowa to campaign against him.


Hence the cartoon in today's The Daily Iowan.

What's funny is that I've actually met Justice Wiggins. I have a funny story about him that I don't want to put it on my blog. But if you're curious, let me know and I'll send you an email.

I'll just say that my encounter with him, plus my own position on same-sex marriage, means he's lost my vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...