Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Winners of the 6th Daily Universe Caption Contest!

The results* of the 6th Daily Universe Caption Contest:
Well, thanks to the overseeing eye of the BYU administration, we actually had to eliminate a few of the already low supply of caption contest entries due to the recent resurgence of administrative censorship.

Here's the original winner before it was axed by the "thought police":

"Oh, doom, did Elder Christofferson just say 'social justice'?" - Parker Brown, Eagar, Ariz.

Here are the ones that were fit to print:

First place:"Yeah, my HDTV stays on the Fox News channel." - Kyle Pulsipher, Mesquite, Nev.

Second place:
"I hope Brother Reid is watching." - Doug Vanderwerken, Scotia, N.Y.
*(page 3)

5 comments:

  1. What kind of censorship is going down? Is this because of the nudey pics that weren't even mentioned in your newspaper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe so. I don't know the whole story, because I'm not quite an official editor yet so I'm not in the official loop. But here's a list of what I know has been scrutinized or flat-out cut out of the paper:

    - In today's story about Redbox and Netflix, they had to make sure in the photo there weren't any rated R movies visible on the Redbox machine
    - A story about using the term "Mormon" instead of "LDS" or something else
    - I don't know what story it was for, but there was some science story and there was a paragraph taken out involving the study of sexual intercourse among rabbits.

    That's all I heard or all I can remember. Maybe once I take over at the Issues & Opinion desk I will inherit the inside scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those darn Mormons at the daily universe! Such a bad influence on kids these days...
    Already some material for the opinions page, huh? Unless that gets censored out, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rabbits story wasn't even about a study. The paragraph just used the phrase "mate like rabbits." I will email you the "inside scoop," as you put it, sometime soon, because you deserve to know. There are many, many more ridiculous examples where that came from.

    Love,
    A DU staff member who should remain unamed while editorializing on a public forum

    ReplyDelete
  5. and JJ, you should totally forward that email to me once you get it. I'm always up for the latest gossip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...