Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Week as a Sports Editor

This week could not have been much crazier.

First off: last Tuesday I became a dad! Our little girl was born at 3:16 a.m. She was 6 lbs. 3 oz. and 19 1/2 inches. And we named her Allisyn Leila.



For being such a little person, she sure keeps us busy. All we have to do is change her and feed her, but it still takes up all our free time! Including our "free" time between bedtime and time to wake up. Of course, it's totally worth it. Allisyn makes us so happy and we just love her so much.

Over at the newsroom, things have been crazy too. There's the normal hectic environment of bringing in brand new COMMS 321 students and getting them to work right away. Then there's the planning between David, Brandon and me in writing football stories on both the first game of the year and a preview of the season in general.

Then ... this happened.

With BYU football independence being official, it pushed everything out of the way and took over. We had viewpoints to write, a story about Wednesday's press conference and a story about all the BYU sports other than football and how they are affected. And a lot of our Washington preview and season preview stuff was cut out.

Here's the viewpoint I wrote:

We love BYU's independence (My original headline: "Happy Independence Day!")

I like this one a lot, I think it turned out well.

But now, I feel like things have calmed down a bit. Now, I can just get excited for the game. (This Saturday I don't have to work at the game, I can just go as a fan.)

We have some great sports writers this semester. I have been very impressed with their enthusiasm and willingness to learn. We gave the official beat assignments today and I think it's all going to go very well.

Whew! Time to get ready for the weekend. Now, all I have to think about is homework, enjoying the Washington game ... and, of course, my little baby. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...