Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BTW

The Daily Herald has a column every Wednesday they call "The Skinny," not because it has to do with diet or exercise but because it actually is skinny. About 17 tiny letters wide.

Reporters take turns writing about pretty much anything they want. And even though I'm just an intern, they assigned this week to me!

I wasn't sure what to write about for a long time. But I felt like writing something political and reliving my days at the opinion editor for The Daily Universe. Immigration is a fairly easy topic for me to write about. But then the challenge came from limiting it to less than 320 words.

Here it is:

The Skinny: Yearning to breathe free

There was one phrase that was taken out, probably for space, that I thought was clever. Instead of just saying "But when the Mississippi state legislature actually proposes renaming the Gulf of Mexico to the 'Gulf of America,' the current crop of politicians don't appear to have any answers," I originally wrote, "But when the Mississippi state legislature actually proposes giving the 'freedom fries' treatment to the Gulf of Mexico by renaming it the 'Gulf of America,' the current crop of politicians don't appear to have any answers."

And look tomorrow for my stuff in The Ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...