Friday, April 19, 2013

A Little Busy Right Now

Here's a cartoon in The Daily Iowan that combines the tragedies in Boston and West, TX, and North Korea:


This week has been fascinating from a journalist's point of view, and I've been watching the Boston story especially. Of course, it's also been horrific. I can't even imagine what Bostonians are going through right now. I don't think I've ever had the feeling that I'm only safe if I'm locked up in my home, and even then I might be in danger. I don't think I've ever experienced that terror.

Here are a couple of awesome Boston tributes that were spread around this week:

In Tuesday's New Yorker magazine



On The Colbert Report, on Tuesday

I did another Boston cartoon earlier this week, but for some reason The Daily Iowan didn't publish it. Good thing I have a blog to publish it on!


In case you need some explaining: that's Paul Revere outside the Old North Church, pausing on his famous Midnight Ride, to take in the sadness.

Political cartoons aren't always funny or sarcastic. Occasionally, a cartoonist takes the opportunity to portray the community's emotions and sorrow, or recognizes history and heroes. I've noticed cartoons like that on the anniversary of September 11, or on Veteran's Day. I've never done that before - any tragedy over the years has always been when I wasn't currently drawing cartoons. (The Newtown school shooting was on the last day of final exams last December, so I was done drawing cartoons for The Daily Iowan for the semester.) So this was my first time trying out a serious cartoon. I thought it turned out pretty well, but for whatever reason it didn't end up in the paper.

I'm doing just one more week of Daily Iowan cartoons, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...