Monday, March 25, 2013

The Other March Madness

In today's Daily Iowan:


As I was driving around Coralville on Saturday, I wondered why there were all these NCAA Tournament banners around the city. Then I noticed signs saying "Welcome NCAA Womens Basketball." So I looked it up, and that's where I learned that Iowa City was one of the hosts for the first weekend of the women's tournament, and that Iowa was in the tournament for the sixth year a row.

There's a student at BYU who I'm sure will appreciate this cartoon ... the year I was a sports editor at The Daily Universe, during the reign of Jimmermania, there was a girl who constantly wrote letters to the editor and commented on the website and replied to tweets, demanding more coverage of BYU women's basketball. (She also had the same last name as one of the star players on the women's team, probably the player's sister.) The women's team was good that year, and certainly deserved attention. But any sense of newsworthiness will tell you that men's basketball should have more attention devoted to it, especially the 2010-2011 season at BYU.

Of course, credit should be given where it's due, and I don't mind highlighting women's basketball. I know a lot of sports fans who seem to have almost contempt for women's basketball. I don't have a problem with it, because I like sports in general. As long as I think of women's basketball as a different sport from men's basketball and don't try to compare them, I can still enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...